International and local Projects
Cross Media Content, social networking, distribution and security:
- RAISSS: progetto sui sistemi di gestione ferroviaria. Ricerca su (i) sistemi di gestione e controllo per le stazioni, (ii) sistemi di segnalamento ottico, (iii) sistemi di conteggio assi e consistenza del treno. (cofinanziato dalla Regione Toscana, con ECM)
- ICARO: progetto sui sistemi cloud dinamici. Ricerca nell’ambito dei sistemi distribuiti (algoritmi di gestione automatica, modelli di sviluppo del cloud middleware, strumenti semantic computing e intelligence per la generazione e verifica delle problematiche di configurazione e combinazione automatica di servizi), della ricerca operativa (ottimizzazione di modelli di costo e di gestione del cloud). (cofinanziato dalla Regione Toscana, con Computer Gross, LiberoLogico e AltroLavoro)
- SACVAR: Soluzioni Avanzate per l’acquisizione automatica della conoscenza, la sua gestione e valorizzazione della ricerca, soluzioni di matchmaking (cofinanziato dalla Regione Toscana)
- XMediaCBIR Cross Media Content Based Information Retrieval.
- Trace-IT Train Control Enhancement via Information Technology (PAR FAS 2007-2013 Azione 1.1 P.I.R. 1.1.B), 2011-2013, sistemi per il segnalamento ferroviario. Progetto Coordinato da ECM in collaborazione con CNR di Pisa. Progetto PAR FAS della regione Toscana.
- ECLAP (as coordinator): EUROPEAN COLLECTED LIBRARY OF ARTISTIC PERFORMANCE, European Commissione Project ICT PSP, focussed on the study, implementation and set up of a Best Practice Network on cultural heritage content on performing art. The project is also going to experiment a set of technologies regarding semantic indexing and management, automated content processing, mobile distribution, multilingual indexing, social networking, multichannel distribution, apple applications, non linear story telling and annotations, semantic processing, integration with EDL Europeana (European Digital Library), OAI-PMH integration and assessment, etc. Innovation selected INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI
- Mobile Emergency, (see web page at DISIT) an Apple App for iPhone. A tool to manage emergency in the hospital area. Developed in collaboration with the Maxi Emergency group on Mobile Medicine. The solution also implies the connection with a server to manage the emergencies and the help the people involved in getting the exit and the collecting centers according to model of interventions. Innovation selected
INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI
- INEA LAB, "Laboratorio per l'Ingegneria Elettroacustica". Joined lab industry-university.
- OSIM Open Space Innovative Mind: project has as main objective the realization of a portal on which the industries, students and interested researchers can pose questions with the aim of identifying the competences in terms of researchers and groups in the large knowledge of the University of Florence. In the literature, there is a number of systems that have been proposed to solve the above described problem of helping modeling knowledge bases, may be matching the demand (semantic query) against the offer (knowledge about domain). The accessible version is part of a wider project called Open Space Innovative Mind, which has been partially founded by ECRF, Ente Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze. The OSIM project is presently under development.
- Palamede e-Journal.press project for Florence University Press, FUP. Web page accessible only from the University Buildings. Re-engineering an OJS solution to make it capable to manage multiple University Press with a certain degree of flexibility and using full multilingual fuzzy search and full document indexing and search.
- MyStoryPlayer model and tools to operform and execute personal experiences as non-linear stories by following temporal and logical relationships formalized via semantic annotations. (DISIT page of MyStoryPlayer) In MyStoryPlayer, any media segment can be an annotation for another media element, the single media may be used as a basis to create an infinite number of media annotations. The user may navigate in the audiovisual annotations, thus creating its own non-linear experience. The resulting solution includes a uniform semantic model, a semantic database, a distribution server for semantic knowledge and media, and MyStoryPlayer to be used in web applications. The solution has been studied and developed as a generalization of the models describing non-linear stories and navigation experiences, as one would appreaciate in navigatin on serials such as Lost, FlashForward, Odissey5, Doctor Who, etc. The solution may be adopted for modeling educational materials such as those that can be created for medical and theatrical environments. Also integrated into ECLAP portal
- MIREX 2009 competition: DISIT partecipated to MIREX competition for the 2009, about the polyphonic music transcoding algorithms and tools. Multiple Fundamental Frequency Estimation & Tracking Results. DISIT resulted to be the winner for the Tukey-Kramer HSD Multi-Comparison for Task2B (Piano). Conference 2009. DISIT obtained also very good ranking for the other cathegores with the same algorithms and solutions.
- RIDIRE.it project (FIRB project, Italian Minister, Protocollo: RBNE075J8Z Strategic Program in Linguistics ) on Dynamic Italian Language Resources. Creation, deployment and maintenance of a web-based infrastructure aimed at consolidating the teaching of Italian worldwide. RIDIRE.it will gather and mantain huge amount of documents assembled through crawling techniques. It will be structured following the best practices of the day in corpus linguistics and will allow users to access the most representative use of the Italian language from both a practical and a cultural perspective. The resulting infrastructure will offer web access to language technologies that will allow the user easy access to Italian language use in all relevant domains.
- Mobile Medicine Social Network: A multichannel best practice network for medical personnel, best practice network analysis for medical collectivities and activities, social network, definition and implementation of a best practice network and portal to support mobile content distribution on medical area; usage of intelligent content, automated production of medical content for pc and mobile, iPhone, formalization of medical procedures, production of miniapplications for dosage estimation and decision taking support, applications in the areas of: emergency, educational, crirtical conditions, etc. A help page and manual can be accessed via this link, also good to download free production tools. Mobile Medicine provides a lot of semantic computing innovative features: recommendations to users about similar users and content, perform fuzzy search on the whole knowledge base system, collect your content and automatically publish them on the network, provide an organizer for your content on your windows mobile PDA, etc. Innovation selected
INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI
- XMF: cross media finder, a multichannel social network, based on AXMEDIS technology, suitable for PC, PDA (windows mobile) and for mobiles. It allows to distribute MPEG-21 content towards PC, mobiles, PDA, etc. It includes an automated back office to cope with user generated content. This is based on AXMEDIS AXCP tools.
- AXMEDIS IST FP6 Integrated Projects (as coordinator), http://WWW.axmedis.org, AXMEDIS consortium (producers, aggregators, distributors and researcher) created the AXMEDIS framework, with innovative methods and tools to speed up and optimise content production and distribution, for production-on-demand.
The AXMEDIS acronym stands for Automating Production of Cross Media Content for Multichannel Distribution. AXMEDIS created new knowledge, technology and tools in the area of automated production and protection of cross media content with technologies of MPEG-21 (DRM, digital rights management), P2P, GRID, cloud computing, content and metadata modelling, semantic modelling and execution, object intelligence.The AXCP Media grid is an Innovation selectedINNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI. A number of SHOW CASES have been produced for VOD, distribution on satellite, distirbution on Museum, distirbution on mobiles, etc. They can be accessed via AXMEDIS portal. The project has attracted a lot of attention from content producer and distributors. Presently about 45 partners joined to access at the AXMEDIS framework. Among the AXMEDIS partners: University of Florence, the AFI phonographic association, FHG-IGD, University of Cataluña, University of Leeds, BBC, TISCALI, HP, EUTELSAT, SEJER, SDAE, Telecom Italia, Telecom Lithuania, Telecom Estonia, EXITECH MBI, EPFL, ASNC, ILABS Giunti, University of Reading, ACIT, KTU, University of Peking, ETRI Korea, VRS Lithuania and many other affiliated partners such as SIAE, RIGEL GESFOR, HEXAGLOBE, PENTEX, etc. see for exploitation AXMEDIATECH. see for picture and content demontration XMF. AXMEDIS tools are distributed by thousands of web sites and cna be taken from AXMEDIS web page. The most downloaded are the AXMEDIS tools for PDA and mobile and P2P.
- I-MAESTRO: IST FP6, STREP project, (as architecture coordinator). i-Maestro will utilise and improve upon current standards related to music education. The project aims to explore a unified educational model to maximise efficiency, motivation and interests in the learning processes and to contribute to the (i) deployment and improvement of ISO MPEG-SMR (Symbolic Music Representation) to support music education, (ii) the implementation of music notation/representation into MPEG-4, (iii) production of guidelines on how the music tuition courseware can be implemented in standard tools and models for distance learning.
- VARIAZIONI e-contentPlus project on the set up and usage of a content enrichment service on music based content by using solutions based on: MPEG-21 based, content processing GRID based, versioning management, DRM, collaborative content enrichment, content annotation, http://www.variazioniproject.org/ ; Exploiting AXCP technology.
- MUSICNETWORK IST FP5 (as coordinator), Thematic Network, Technology Transfer, to reduce the technological gap from technology providers and content owners and distributors. www.interactivemusicnetwork.org A network of FP5 on which we have about 850participants, 10 working groups, 230 industries, etc. All the value chains of content and music industry are represented. (concluded)
- MPEG AHG on Music Notation, co-chair (with G. Zoia, EPFL) and management of the Ad Hoc Group of MPEG on Music Notation with EPFL. http://www.interactivemusicnetwork.org/mpeg-ahg/ (concluded as a full ISO standard into MPEG-4, as part 23).
- M3W: MultiMedia MiddleWare, MPEG ISO, definition of a middleware for consumer electronics devices such as PVR, DVD, etc., DISIT lab has defined the remoting and communication capabilities among devices; (concluded as a standard)
- WEDELMUSIC IST 1999 R&D FP5 (WEB delivering of music scores) (as coordinator), In this case, several innovations were added, XML models, secure transactions models, distribution models, certification of clients, multimedia content models, watermarking of symbolic content like music but could be text. XML modelling, transactions, watermarking audio and image score, synchronisation of media, Z39.50, UNIMARC, etc. It has generated also a series of conferences. http://www.WEDELMUSIC.org Every month about 100 of the WEDELMUSIC related tools are freely downloaded. Presently it is distributed in Open Source. Relevant installations are present in Milan and Fiesole. (concluded in the 6/2002), it has been "adopted" by ADOPT-IT.
- WEDELAUTHORING: internal project for creating an educational platform and tools for music education, distance teaching, e-learning of music. The platform is based on the integration of WEDELMUSIC with standard de-facto Authoring tools such as Authorware, Director, WEB Browsers, etc. The core of this project is presently used in OPENDRAMA IST project of other partners. The first version of WEDELMUSIC for Aurthoring is avaialbe on http://www.WEDELMUSIC.org download area. (concluded)
- IMUTUS IST 2000 R&D FP5 IST (Integrated systems for distance learning and teaching of music). Educational project for creating tool for distance learning of music: Optical Music recognition, image processing, object recognition, artificial intelligence solutions and languages for estimating the hand position. http://www.exodus.gr/imutus (concluded)
- MOODS HPCN ESPRIT IV Technology Transfer demonstrator project (Music Object Oriented Distributed Systems) (as coordinator), http://www.dsi.unifi.it/~moods/, MOODS consists in an integrated system of computer-based lecterns/stands for co-operative editing of music score and visualisation of music score. CSCW, on mobile systems. Music Notation, cooperative work, distributed systems, real time synchronisation, electronic lecterns, table PC, etc. (concluded in the 1998)
- IMEASY HPCN ESPRIT IV Technology Transfer demonstrator project (Integrated Multiprocessor Expandable Audio Spatialisation System), http://www.dsi.unifi.it/~hpcn/wwwimeasy/wwwpag.html , signal processing and 3D modelling of the space. (concluded in the 1999)
- Cooperative Mobile applications and Middleware based on P2P technologies on PDA, client server applications based on PDA.
- Security Portal: a local project with Firenze Tecnologie for the scientific and technological support for the production of content for a Portal on Information Technology Security.
- LIOO: Lectern Interactive Object Oriented, a class framework for music applications (concluded)
- MOOVI: a class framework for Object Oriented applications under MOTIF (DSI project, concluded)
Industrial Automation, real time systems, formal methods:
- TRACE-IT: (progetto PAR FAS 2007-2013, azione 1.1 PIR 11B, in corso) sistemi di segnalamento ferroviario. Le specifiche del sistema di segnalamento interoperabile europeo ERTMS/ETCS sono in evoluzione. Il sistema di protezione della marcia (ATP) ERTMS/ETCS prevede 3 Livelli. Nel contempo, nel contesto dei Sistemi di ferrovia leggera e di metropolitana si è sviluppata una tecnologia di riferimento universalmente riconosciuta nella denominazione Communication Based Train Control (CBTC), che prevede una intensa comunicazione tra SottoSistemi di terra e di bordo. Gli obiettivi sono lo studio e la definizione di modelli formali per il segnalamento ferroviario.
- MESA research contract: research contract about the development of algorithms and solution of the evaluation of the number of passing people into interlocked doors for banks and other locations under security control.
- INDEX-DSP: Multiprocessor system for industrial applications (industrial research agreement) (concluded).
- ESPRIT III MEPI DIM 45 OFCOMP, study and realisation of computer vision algorithms and custom processors chips for detecting and counting the moving objects. They can be simple object of moving peoples. The applications counted moving people getting in-out the bus. The solution has been based on Optical Flow algorithms and stream analysis, real time solving partial differential equation, special VLSI design, etc. (the so called RETIMAC chip).
- TETRAPC TTN HPCN ESPRIT IV, Technology Transfer node of High Performance Computing and Networking. DISIT has been involved as a subcontract of CESVIT, Agency for High Tech in Tuscany, to stimulate the technology transfer in the area of High Performance Computer Networking.
- MUPAAC HPCN ESPRIT IV, http://www.dsi.unifi.it/~hpcn/wwwmupaac/wwwpag.html distributed systems for the control of the automatic machine tools. DSI has played the role of technology providers, defining the flexible architecture or MUPACC, hardware and software definition, parallel architecture for automatic control, PCI, CANBUS, etc.
- ICCOC HPCN ESPRIT IV, http://www.dsi.unifi.it/~hpcn/wwwiccoc/Iccoc.html distributed systems for the automatic control of island of production. Continued with project SAMOPROS: Optimisation process for the production process, TABOO search, genetic algorithm, distributed control system, etc.
- SAMOPROS: project of MIUR, National Ministry about the adoption of Object oriented models and optimisation algorithms for the plan management and optimisation of the production process in islands of production including milling machines, robots, automated storages, Taboo Search, Genetic Algorithms, etc. http://www.dsi.unifi.it/~nesi/samopros/index.htm java based distributed applications for the direct control of the entire plant.
- CAT1: Computer vision detection of defects and their classification on text style, algorithms for the real time detection of defects, metrics for classification of defects, real time processing. Research activity in a larger project.
- CAT2: Vision Based measuring and classification of colours, uniform and patterned colours on textures. Research activity in a larger project.
- CVDEMC: Real time detection and measuring of cavitation in turbomachineries by using computer vision. Research activity in a larger project.
- CANBUSxTEXTILE: CAN BUS solutions for Textile machines with TECNOTESSILE (Prato) and SED, monitoring the textile production with computer vision systems on distirbuted architecture.
- VISICON IST EUTIST FP5, a distributed vision system for the assessment of quality of produced material in industrial manufacturing. Image processing algorithms for detecting and assessing quality of mechanical parts produced in real time. A Flexible architecture for distributed quality control, connection via TCP/IP and real time processing. Quality of Clincing machine
- OPTAMS IST EUTIST FP5, a system for monitoring and optimising the production process of manufacturing industries. The optimisation process is based on Taboo search (Genetic solution has been also produced) of a complex multi-constrained job shop problem
- TILCO-EXECUTOR, TILCO-PLC: the application of formal methods for the industrial control, direct execution of PLC programs with temporal logics. Direct real time execution of formal specification in TILCO temporal logic (temporal interval logic, http://www.dsi.unifi.it/~tilco/), for embedded systems, real time system specification and execution. Development of an integrated development tool for integrating the real time execution of TILCO logic into C++ applications
- Reengineering Control systems (several different contracts with industries), from interpolation to modularisation of control: enforcing real time behaviour in Windows based control systems, object oriented modelling of numerical controls and managing their configuration, production and insertion of interpolations algorithm, definition of general software and hardware architecture, managing and real time interpreting PLC equation
- QUACK project, Specification and verification tools for the Integration of Temporal Logic and traditional programming, a national project on the definition of models and methods for the specification, verification and testing of embedded real time systems. http://www.lta.disco.unimib.it/quack The project is based on formal models. DISIT in this case used TILCO (temporal interval logic, http://www.dsi.unifi.it/~tilco/) for the specification and execution of control and management algorithms for embedded systems
- Master in Sound Engineering, University of Florence, started in the 2008 in collaboration with Procia di Firenze, Fondazione Sistema Toscana, IMAIE, SIAE, AFI, Computer Music, etc.
- SSIS Course 2005
- PRODIGI: IFTS 2005-2006 course
- O3MR, realisation of an optical music recognition system integrated into WEDELMUSIC Editor,a tool for extracting music from image of scores (partially supported by Hewlett and Packard)
- Restoring and digitising Music sheet and audio sources
- DIGITALIS: digitisation of audio and images of music. Educational and applicative project., Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, Conservatorio di Firenze, ITIS Meucci. (concluded)
- MULTIMEDIA: design and implementation of a multimedia CD for teaching fundamentals of informatics (Univ: Pisa, Firenze, Siena) (concluded)
- TAC++, a tool for Assessment of C++ Applications, Effort estimation and prediciton, fault proneness estimation and prediction, quality estimation, process and product assessment. Object-oriented metrics for effort estimation and prediction, for maintenance effort estimation and prediciton, for quality analysis (concluded)
- C2O2: a tool for Object-Oriented reengineering of COBOL application (concluded)
see DISIT partners.