DISIT lab and research group has been founded by prof. Paolo Nesi. DISIT research group and LAB works mainly on: semantic computing, big data, data analitics, artificial intelligence, cultural heritage, knowledge mining, knowledge representation, semantic models, business intelligence, massive content processing,music recognition, models and media for digital content distribution, signal analysis (video and audio processing), mobile solutions, user profiling, user-user user content recommendations, content based retrieval, natural language processing, automated formatting, content mining and aggregation, audiovisual annotation, non linear story telling, linked open data, semantic database, software engineering, protection models, distributed architecture systems, formal models, artificial vision, digital rights management (DRM), CAS, component systems, multimedia middleware, distribution systems, GRID, P2P, etc.
For the next EC ICT call for research projects, DISIT lab areas of competence are:
- smart data mining and ingestion process (see AXCP tool)
- intelligent semantic computing
- cognitive and statistical analysis integration, decision support systems
- data reasoning and social analysis, social media, social networking
- automated ontology production, editing and management
- user behavior analysis, optimization models, collective intelligence
- suggestions and recommendations algorithms
- multilingual cross media indexing, digital media indexing
- linked open data, linked open media, semantic integration tools
- distributed systems for cloud and grid, scalability and high availability
- user engagement via collaborative web and mobile devices, crowd sourcing
- web based content aggregation and annotation tools, see ECLAP above
- Music and sound understanding and transcoding (see MIREX 2009)
- brain information modeling
- knowledge mining and management
Most of the above topics can be declined/applied for smart communities/cities, personalized health, human brain analysis, social media, content management, social innovation, cognitive systems, smart grid energy, sensor networks, etc. In some context, they are summarized as big data technologies, collective intelligence, semantic computing, etc. DISIT is working in this area since long time and developed interesting tools also used into:
- ECLAP: cross media social network, social semantic tools for social network on performing arts, social media, semantic computing, cross media recommendations
- OSIM, knowledge mining and semantic understanding and indexing via natural language processing in Italian and English, automated ontology production, semantic queries providing results with relevance and semantic similarity. (see IJSEKE 2012)
- MyStoryPlayer: a non linear audiovisual annotation tool accessible on ECLAP. MyStoryPlayer is also promoted on Europeana
- AXMEDIS, automated cross media content production, protection and distribution, produced the AXCP tools, see IEEE Multimedia of April 2012
- XMediaCBIR: cross media Content Based information retrieval demonstrator, several descriptors. Other text based similarity estimation algorithms have been developed and are used in ECLAP, APRETOSCANA, etc.
- Content Organizer: content organizer for mobile devices with agumented reality, gps, QR, retrieval, indexing, ebook, cross media, etc.
- Trace-IT project
- ICARO project
- RAISSS project
Some DISIT informative material for your analysis:
- DISIT lab, overview slides for FP7 European Commission call 10 and 11, DISIT research capabilities and call of interest.
- AXCP tools, technical note, Semantic computing, media grid, big data
- Cross media learning management system, Social learning tool
- Micro grids for scalable media computing and intelligence on distributed scenarios, IEEE Multimedia, 2012
- Open Mind, semantic indexing with uncertainty, Beta
- ECLAP: best practice network, social network for cross media content
- Effective Knowledge SpinOff of the University of Florence
- DISIT flyer 2012, free download
- DISIT flyer 2011, free download
DISIT is managing:
- Running best practice netwokrs and social networks as: ECLAP, APRETOSCANA and IUF.
- developing and maintaining tools for grid computing, cross media and mobile
Detailed list of major EC Calls of interest for DISIT in the FP7 are but not limited to:
- onnected and Social Media
- Content analytics and language technologies
- Scalable data analytics
- SME initiative on analytics
- Technology-enhanced learning
- Collective Awareness Platforms for Sustainability and Social Innovation
- A reliable, smart and secure Internet of Things for Smart Cities
some details on DISIT activity
- Cross Media Learning Management System at MIUR..INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI.to get more, it is currently in use on:
- Flyer of XLMS in PDF
- ECLAP portal and EC CIP PsP project ECLAP Best Practice Network and e-learning support in connection with Europeana.
- Idraulica.fupress.com, a portal for e-learning and distance learning in Idraulic Engineering
- Mobile Medicine, see below, a portal for medical distance learning and social networking.
- MyStooryPlayer semantic audiovisual annotation tool.
- Mobile Medicine on MIUR.INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI..to get more please see Mobile Medicine Social Network and iPad/iPhone and windows PDA tools
- Mobile Emergency at MIUR -..INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI... to get more on Mobile Emergency, an Apple App for iPhone. A tool to manage emergency in the hospital area. Developed in collaboration with the Maxi Emergency group on Mobile Medicine. The solution also implies the connection with a server to manage the emergencies and the help the people involved in getting the exit and the collecting centers according to model of interventions.
- Content Processing Media Grid, AXCP on MIUR.INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI.. to get more it is the core technology for semantic computing and media grid the so called AXCP Media Grid computing tools. It is going to appear on IEEE Multimedia in the 2011 and it has been developed starting from one of the results of AXMEDIS project .
If you are interested in performing a stage, thesis or a doctoral study at DISIT please contact his director P. Nesi and visit the related web pages for thesis, projects and didaptical activities on: distributed systems, software engineering and project planning/management.
The main recent activities of DISIT are related to:
- RAISSS: progetto sui sistemi di gestione ferroviaria. Ricerca su (i) sistemi di gestione e controllo per le stazioni, (ii) sistemi di segnalamento ottico, (iii) sistemi di conteggio assi e consistenza del treno. (cofinanziato dalla Regione Toscana, con ECM)
- ICARO: progetto sui sistemi cloud dinamici. Ricerca nell’ambito dei sistemi distribuiti (algoritmi di gestione automatica, modelli di sviluppo del cloud middleware, strumenti semantic computing e intelligence per la generazione e verifica delle problematiche di configurazione e combinazione automatica di servizi), della ricerca operativa (ottimizzazione di modelli di costo e di gestione del cloud). (cofinanziato dalla Regione Toscana, con Computer Gross, LiberoLogico e AltroLavoro)
- SACVAR: Soluzioni Avanzate per l’acquisizione automatica della conoscenza, la sua gestione e valorizzazione della ricerca, soluzioni di matchmaking (cofinanziato dalla Regione Toscana)
- EffectiveKnowledge: Spin-off dell'Universita' degli Studi di Firenze
- TRACE-IT: progetto sul segnalamento ferroviario, metodi formali, coordinato da ECM e in collaborazione con CNR Pisa.
- IUF.CSAVRI.org: Incubatore universitario Fiorentino, Portale educazionale dello IUF
- www.APRETOSCANA.org: portale per la promozione della progettazione europea in toscana.
- ECLAP (as coordinator)): EUROPEAN COLLECTED LIBRARY OF ARTISTIC PERFORMANCE, European Commissione Project ICT PSP, focussed on the study, implementation and set up of a Best Practice Networkon cultural heritage content on performing art.
- Joined lab industry-university INEA LAB, "Laboratorio per l'Ingegneria Elettroacustica".
- Idraulica.fupress.com, http://idraulica.fupress.com, experiment with innovative ebook for pc and iPad, content organizer.
- Palamede e-Journal.press project for Florence University Press, FUP. Web page accessible only from the University Buildings.
- MyStoryPlayer model and tools to operform and execute personal experiences as non-linear stories by following temporal and logical relationships formalized via semantic annotations. (DISIT page of MyStoryPlayer)
- MIREX 2009 competition: DISIT partecipated to MIREX competition for the 2009, about the polyphonic music transcoding algorithms and tools. Multiple Fundamental Frequency Estimation & Tracking Results. DISIT resulted to be the winner for the Tukey-Kramer HSD Multi-Comparison for Task2B (Piano). Conference 2009.
- Mobile Medicine Social Network: A multichannel best practice network for medical personnel, best practice network analysis for medical collectivities and activities, social network, definition and implementation of a best practice network and portal to support mobile content distribution on medical area;
- International and national projects. scientific responsible of international research projects such as: IMAESTRO, MUPAAC, WEDELMUSIC, MUSICNETWORK, ICCOC, MOODS, IMEASY, VISICON, VARIAZIONI, OFCOMP, OPTAMS, AXMEDIS and so forth. For further reference on each and every project. He has played the role of Project Coordinator for MOODS, MUSICNETWORK, WEDELMUSIC and AXMEDIS.
- current and past/recorded activities on conferences and fairs such as: IEEE ICECCS, DMS, AXMEDIS, WEDELMUSIC, CSMR, etc.
- Prof. Paolo Nesi research group chair, personal web page and activities
- Publications at DISIT
- DISIT Peopleand activities
- standardisation group in the MPEG ISO (International Standard Organization), for the MPEG SMR, for MPEG M3W (middleware for software component distribution), MPEG-21 (distribution and DRM models, protection models). Many of DISIT contributions have been taken into account and are integrated part of world-wide standards, like MPEG ISO. DISIT people have been editor in standards such as MPEG-4 SMR and MPEG M3W.
other past and most relevant:
- AXMEDIS FP6 IST research and development project: considered as one of the most succesfull IP projects of the FP6 in the area of content and tools. Social Network and content demonstration: XMF
- WEDELMUSIC project has been selected as one of the best top 20 projects in the area of “Cross media content and publishing” for the FP 5 of the European Commission. On such grounds it has been granted with the support of the ADOPT-IT project, even after the WEDELMUSIC project reached its end.
- Discovery technology award: DISIT reached the final in the area of Information Technology, among several submitted papers, with his research work for the MOODS project, where Prof. P. Nesi was coordinator. The project itself has been proposed for candidacy by the Disney Company in 2001.
- Pirelli Internet Technology Award 2002, DISIT reached the final in the area of Information Technology among more than 1200 submitted papers, with his research work for the project WEDELMUSIC IST FP 5.
- Winner of the Best Paper Award of IEEE ICECCS2001 for: P. Bellini, P. Nesi, ``Communicating TILCO: a model for Real-Time System Specification", Best Paper Award, Proc. of the 7th ``IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems'', ICECCS'01, IEEE Press, Sweden, June 2001.