DISIT lab and research group is active since 1994. It is one of the most active labs on ICT in the University of Florence, metropolitan Tuscany area. DISIT successfully developed a relevant number of International and National research and development projects and creating an infrastructure for cloud and distributed computing, the DISIT datacenter with grid cluster, hadoop cluster, nutch cluster, etc.
DISIT research areas are: data mining and understanding, semantic computing, natural language processing, artificial intelligence, big data, data analytics, knowledge mining, knowledge representation, semantic models, open data, linked open data, formal models, content protection, IPR models.
DISIT algorithms and solutions for: recognition, disambiguation, user behaviour analysis, collective analysis, recommendation, multilingual and cross media indexing, path generation, user profiling, indoor/outdoor navigation, media synchronisation, knowledge matchmaking, audio transcoding, decision support, sentient and autonomous agents and tools, ontology production, etc. (see more on Publications and Current Projects page, see on the left bar of this page for the Conferences in which DISIT is directly involved). See web page of DISIT coordinator Prof. Paolo Nesi
DISIT research results have been successfully applied in solutions/tools for: social networks (ECLAP, ApreToscana), social learning (Mobile Medicine, FC), smart cities for mobility, smart cloud and intelligence (ICARO Cloud), health care, brain information modelling and analysis, business intelligence, mobile solutions, autonomous agents, content processing (AXCP), automated formatting, web based content aggregation, content based retrieval (XmediaCBIR), digital rights management (AXMEDIS), collaborative work, audiovisual annotation, CAS, GRID, P2P, crowd sourcing, multimedia middleware, ... (see more on Current Projects page and on Tools Page where some of the produced innovations and tools are listed). DISIT has generated Effective Knowledge spinoff company participated by the University of Florence.
Some Flyers as PDF (for links to the projects web pages see on the left):
- DISIT lab overview/flyer: DISIT
- recent framewors and tools: DiCCoF, MyStoryPlayer, SocialGraph, AXMEDIS AXCP
- running projects in Smart City area: Sii-Mobility(ENG), Coll@bora(ENG), Sii-Mobility(ITA), Coll@bora(ITA)
- running projects on transporation: TRACE-IT, RAISSS, TESYSRAIL
- running projects on Smart Cloud: ICARO
- main mobile applications: Content Organizer, Mobile Emergency(ITA), MobileEmergency(ENG)
- spin off web site: Effective Knowledge
- from Effective Knowledge: e-Brain(ITA), e-Brain(ENG), OSIM(ITA), OSIM(ENG).
- running platforms: ECLAP, AXMEDIS, OSIM, APREToscana, SMNet.org, IUF.CSAVRI.ORG, Mobile Medicine, etc.
- see more on Tools Page, and Current Projects page.
References of DISIT activities in the areas of:
- Smart Cities: in this area DISIT Lab is working on two new projects cofounded by the italian Ministry on Education, Univeristy and Research, MIUR. In the the two projects DISIT lab is the Scientific and Technical Coordinator with Paolo Nesi, and it is providing competence on knowledge modeling, data intelligence, bigdata, social media, cloud computing, inference tools, mobile tools, etc.
- Sii-Mobility: objectives are the: (i) reduction of social costs of mobility, (ii) simplify the use of mobility systems, (iii) developing working solutions and application, with testing methods, (iv) contribute to standardisation organs, and establishing relationships with other smart cities’ management systems. The Sii-Mobility platform will be capable to provide support for SME and Public Administrations. Sii-Mobility PDF overview, Sii-Mobility(ITA)
- Coll@bora: aims to solve problems of management and protection of information needed to build effective and protected collaborations in the teams following the disabled.Coll@bora PDF voerview, Coll@bora(ITA)
- knowledge mining and semantic understanding and indexing via natural language processing in Italian, English, German, France; automated ontology production, semantic queries providing results with relevance and semantic similarity, matchmaking, knowledge mining and discovering. Projects as: OSIM, SACVAR, and also OSIM for blog monitoring for Pharmaco-vigiliance.
- social media, social semantic tools, for social network, social media, semantic computing, cross media recommendations, cross media indexing, data mining, knowledge modelling, in projects as ECLAP, mobile medicine, APREtoscana, etc.
- Cross media learning management system, Social learning tool
- ECLAP: best practice network, social network for cross media content
- IUF.CSAVRI.org: enterprise Incubator of university of Florence, collaborative and educational tools for the incubator
- www.APRETOSCANA.org: collaborative portal for the promotion of European Research in Tuscany, stimulation and valorisation of Tuscany Reasearch in the world.
- Mobile Medicine Social Network: A multichannel best practice network for medical personnel
- Train Control Systems for high speed trains and metro and thus formal methods, logic programming, formal verification autonomous agents and operators, standards as ETCS, ERTMS, etc. With projects as: TRACE-IT, RAISSS, TESYSRAIL.
- Smart Cloud computing, cloud automation, optimization and intelligence, monitoring and reasoning about cloud behaviour, verification of configuration consistencies, identification and prediction of critical cases, etc. See projects such as: ICARO
- parallel and distributed processing of automated semantic computing and production, framework and tools to setup called AXCP tool, developed as a starting point in AXMEDIS, IEEE Multimedia of April 2012, and furtherly developed in many other projects and years of work.
- DiCCoF: Cognitive Computing Framework based on Massive and parallel support on which one can script processes and their relationships/flows that put in execution algorithms and tools exploiting tools and DiCCoF services (crawling, ingesting, in LOD, indexing, mining, adapting, recognition, etc.), with plugins and tools of third parties.
- Semantic and sentient computing tools (DiCCoF PDF Overview) as:
- CoSKOSAM: Collaborative tool for SKOS and ontology management, automated production of ontologies (see http://openmind.disit.org), Natural Language processing languages: English, Italian, German, Spanish, Francoise. OSIM project and tools.
- Semantic Query tool and wizard on the basis of OSIM RDF database queried by SPARQL (see http://openmind.disit.org),
- MyStoryPlayer: semantic model and tool for non linear media annotations, synchronization and relationships (see http://www.eclap.eu/super/msp/ ) also promoted by Europeana. Download the MyStoryPlayer Flyer.
- Social Graph connecting and relating people, content, actions, etc., navigating among them, exploiting Open data and Linked Open Data, exploiting name resolution via dbPedia, geoname resolution, etc (see http://www.eclap.eu/super/sg/ ) also promoted by Europeana. Download the Social Graph flyer
- Time Line Navigator tool for identifying, mining and disambiguating dates contained in textual documents, navigation in temporal line (see http://www.eclap.eu/177596 )
- Name Extractor, Resolver and Manager to cope with names recognition and identification, synonymous management, creating links with dbpedia, geonames, vip names, user names, etc. also in Social Graph (see http://www.eclap.eu/177605 ),
- XMediaCBIR Content Based Information Retrieval for producing search and recommendation algorithms integrating both textual and content descriptors for similarities and retrieval algorithms
- MatchMaking to support the match from offers and demands (see http://www.apretoscana.org/5221)
- Content Organizer mobile application for semantic organization of content on your iPhone, iPad in connection with enabled social media and portal solutions with augmented reality, gps, QR, retrieval, indexing, ebook, cross media, also available on iPhone, Android, Windows Phone (see http://www.eclap.eu/94220 ) Download the Content Organizer Flyer
- Mobile Emergency: indoor and outdoor navigation tools and emergency management, automated intervention management, see Apple Store. Download the Mobile Emergency Flyer
- IPR Wizard assistive tools for IPR licensing and permission setting according to rights ontologies and relationships
- Multimedia Crawler to search and mining media content from social media portals as VIMEO and aggregators connected to Europeana, a tool for the creative industry, for teachers, and cultural institutions.
- AXCP: scalable media grid, development tool kit for parallel and distributed semantic computing (see http://www.axmedis.org ) AXCP flyer and technical note
- Georesolution and navigation: geo location, geo distribution, etc.
- Social media integration with OpenAuth, embedding, citations, etc.
- Fondazione ICON. A non-profit organization committed to bridge brain studies towards a new computational paradigm: the connectome-inspired computing. This is CON, the International Center of Computational Neurophotonics, founded in July 2011 with the support of LENS (European Laboratory for Non-linear Spectroscopy), the University of Florence and the IBM Foundation.
- Joined lab industry-university INEA LAB, "Laboratorio per l'Ingegneria Elettroacustica".
- International and national projects. scientific responsible of international research projects such as: IMAESTRO, MUPAAC, WEDELMUSIC, MUSICNETWORK, ICCOC, MOODS, IMEASY, VISICON, VARIAZIONI, OFCOMP, OPTAMS, AXMEDIS and so forth. For further reference on each and every project. He has played the role of Project Coordinator for MOODS, MUSICNETWORK, WEDELMUSIC and AXMEDIS.
- standardisation group in the MPEG ISO (International Standard Organization), for the MPEG SMR, for MPEG M3W (middleware for software component distribution), MPEG-21 (distribution and DRM models, protection models). Many of DISIT contributions have been taken into account and are integrated part of world-wide standards, like MPEG ISO. DISIT people have been editor in standards such as MPEG-4 SMR and MPEG M3W.
DISIT has received a number of awards, for projects such as WEDELMUSIC, AXMEDIS. And Awards for best paper conferences and for innovation.
- Cross Media Learning Management System at MIUR..INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI.to get more, it is currently in use on: ECLAP portal and EC CIP PsP project ECLAP Best Practice Network and e-learning support in connection with Europeana, APRETOSCANA, Mobile Medicine, a portal for medical distance learning and social networking.
- Mobile Medicine on MIUR.INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI..to get more please see Mobile Medicine Social Network and iPad/iPhone and windows PDA tools
- Mobile Emergency at MIUR -..INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI... to get more on Mobile Emergency, an Apple App for iPhone. A tool to manage emergency in the hospital area. Developed in collaboration with the Maxi Emergency group on Mobile Medicine. The solution also implies the connection with a server to manage the emergencies and the help the people involved in getting the exit and the collecting centers according to model of interventions.
- Content Processing Media Grid, AXCP on MIUR.INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI.. to get more it is the core technology for semantic computing and media grid the so called AXCP Media Grid computing tools. It is going to appear on IEEE Multimedia in the 2011 and it has been developed starting from one of the results of AXMEDIS project . Technical Note in AXCP, download the PDF
DISIT has generated Effective Knowledge SpinOff start-up of the University of Florence
If you are interested in performing a stage, thesis or a doctoral study at DISIT please contact his director P. Nesi and visit the related web pages for thesis, projects and didaptical activities on: distributed systems, software engineering and project planning/management.
- best paper awards: DMS, AXMEDIS, IEEE ICECCS, etc.
- winner of MIREX 2009 competition: DISIT partecipated to MIREX competition for the 2009, about the polyphonic music transcoding algorithms and tools. Multiple Fundamental Frequency Estimation & Tracking Results. DISIT resulted to be the winner for the Tukey-Kramer HSD Multi-Comparison for Task2B (Piano). Conference 2009.
- AXMEDIS FP6 IST research and development project: considered as one of the most succesfull IP projects of the FP6 in the area of content and tools. Social Network and content demonstration: XMF
- WEDELMUSIC project has been selected as one of the best top 20 projects in the area of “Cross media content and publishing” for the FP 5 of the European Commission. On such grounds it has been granted with the support of the ADOPT-IT project, even after the WEDELMUSIC project reached its end.
- Discovery technology award: DISIT reached the final in the area of Information Technology, among several submitted papers, with his research work for the MOODS project, where Prof. P. Nesi was coordinator. The project itself has been proposed for candidacy by the Disney Company in 2001.
- Pirelli Internet Technology Award 2002, DISIT reached the final in the area of Information Technology among more than 1200 submitted papers, with his research work for the project WEDELMUSIC IST FP 5.